Blog Archive

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Statistics and Interesting Information

There are some very interesting facts about single parent families and their effects on children. I'd like to offer a few facts here. When I was competing in Provincial Court for custody of my child I did a lot of research. This information not only depressed me but it gave me valuable insight that I needed to overcome the fight for my right to be a father. I battled the odds and prejudice of the Family Justice and Provincial Court system.  The odds were dramatically stacked against me as a male but I did not let it stop me! Bellow are a few facts please feel free to comment your own information or add facts that may be valuable to others.
  • 79.6% of custodial mothers receive a support award
  • 29.9% of custodial fathers receive a support award.
  • 46.9% of non-custodial mothers totally default on support.
  • 26.9% of non-custodial fathers totally default on support.
  • 20.0% of non-custodial mothers pay support at some level
  • 61.0% of non-custodial fathers pay support at some level
  • 66.2% of single custodial mothers work less than full time.
  • 10.2% of single custodial fathers work less than full time.
  •   7.0% of single custodial mothers work more than 44 hours weekly.
  • 24.5% of single custodial fathers work more that 44 hours weekly.
  • 46.2% of single custodial mothers receive public assistance.
  • 20.8% of single custodial fathers receive public assistance.
[Technical Analysis Paper No. 42 - U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services - Office of Income Security Policy]
  • 40% of mothers reported that they had interfered with the fathers visitation to punish their ex-spouse.
["Frequency of Visitation" by Sanford Braver, American Journal of Orthopsychiatry]
  • 50% of mothers see no value in the fathers continued contact with his children.
["Surviving the Breakup" by Joan Berlin Kelly]
  • 90.2% of fathers with joint custody pay the support due.
  • 79.1% of fathers with visitation privileges pay the support due.
  • 44.5% of fathers with no visitation pay the support due.
  • 37.9% of fathers are denied any visitation.
  • 66% of all support not paid by non-custodial fathers is due to the inability to pay.
[1988 Census "Child Support and Alimony: 1989 Series" P-60, No. 173 p.6-7, and "U.S. General Accounting Office Report" GAO/HRD-92-39FS January 1992]




  • 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes.
[U. S. D.H.H.S. Bureau of the Census]
  • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes.
  • 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes.
[Center for Disease Control]
  • 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes.
[Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 14 p. 403-26]
  • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes.
[National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools]
  • 70% of juveniles in state operated institutions come from fatherless homes
[U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept., 1988]
  • 85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a fatherless home.
[Fulton County Georgia Jail Populations and Texas Dept. of Corrections, 1992]
  • Nearly 2 of every 5 children in America do not live with their fathers.
[US News and World Report, February 27, 1995, p.39]
There are:
  • 11,268,000 total custodial mothers
  • 2,907,000 total custodial fathers
[Current Populations Reports, US Bureau of the Census, Series P-20, No. 458, 1991]
What does this mean?  Children from fatherless homes are:




  • 4.6 times more likely to commit suicide,
  • 6.6 times to become teenaged mothers (if they are girls, of course),
  • 24.3 times more likely to run away,
  • 15.3 times more likely to have behavioral disorders,
  • 6.3 times more likely to be in a state-operated institutions,
  • 10.8 times more likely to commit rape,
  • 6.6 times more likely to drop out of school,
  • 15.3 times more likely to end up in prison while a teenager.
(The calculation of the relative risks shown in the preceding list is based on 27% of children being in the care of single mothers.)
and — compared to children who are in the care of two biological, married parents — children who are in the care of single mothers are:
  • 33 times more likely to be seriously abused (so that they will require medical attention), and 73 times more likely to be killed.


  • How can anyone deny that a child needs their father? Sickening as these facts may be they are here for our benefit. It is proof that we as fathers can not deny our children from the most important person in their lives, their fathers! My motivation to be a part of my child's life was not affected by odds or prejudice I vowed that if I truly loved my child I would never give up and I would do everything ethically possible to give my child his fundamental human right, the right to a father! I persevered and I won those rights! You can too!

2 comments:

  1. I just became a father recently. My son was born this month. The mother and I are no longer together and at times I am completely lost in this situation. Are you possibly free to chat via email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your situation. For sure email me anytime! JTCounseling@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete